Skip to main content

Going Back to My Roots

Generally I don't post about my vacations, but the latest trip I took with my mom Lithuania seems to fit with the theme of my Jewish experience in Europe so here we go anyway. Last week we went to find our roots in Lithuania. This needs some backstory. My grandma was born in a town called Memel (now Klaipeda) in Lithuania in the 1920s. When she was 6-weeks old my great-grandparents decided to move to South Africa. Since then my grandmother has never been back, despite being an avid world traveler.


So when my mom decided to come to visit me in Germany it seemed like a great opportunity to do some heritage hunting. My mom has been researching our family tree for years now and managed to locate the towns and villages that our ancestors were born in so off we set to go see what these places were like today.

Vilnus old city, Capital of Lithuania 

Rather naively I underestimated how heavy and emotional this journey would be. Living in Germany of course I'm quite aware of the modern day impacts of the Holocaust on the continent of Europe, but somehow I didn't expect this to have an overarching effect on this particular trip. Of course I was wrong. 92-96% of the Jews in Lithuania were murdered in the Holocaust. So today, unlike in Germany, for the most part the synagogues lay empty. In many of the towns that we visited all that's left is plaques and sculptures memorializing what was once a thriving community with around 200,000 jews.



Wooden Synagogue that survived the war in a village outside of Vilnus 

Holocaust memorial Kaunas, Lithuania 




Synagogue that survived the war in Kaunas, where my great-grandparents lived!

It was especially meaningful when we went to the Jewish Community Center in Klaipeda, where my grandmother was born and found them setting up for the birthday party of some community members as well as a Hessed lunch for elderly jews who otherwise could not afford to eat. It was nice after so much sadness to see that despite everything Jewish life still remains in Lithuania, and even more impressive to see the wide reaching efforts of JDC who support this community. 



Through all this I feel indescribably lucky that my family was able to move safely to South Africa, and then later to America. It's unbelievable to think that in another world Lithuania could have been my home and a city like Klaipeda may have been where I grew up. Going back to Lithuania 90 years after my grandmother left was totally surreal and incredibly moving. 









Comments

  1. Hi Liora
    I enjoyed reading your blog about your visit to Lithuania with your mum. How nice to be able to do that together..I've been to see where my grandmother was born in Tukums, near Riga in Latvia but still have t visit Lithuania to see what I can find out about my Sacks grandfather and my mother's parents too. Hopefully I will one day get to do that too.
    Good luck with what you now decide to do and congrats on graduating.
    with love and best wishes
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Attempt at Blogging

This week marks my two month-iversary in Germany. As things start to fall into place a little more I thought it would be a good time to start documenting my work adventures. I’ve always found blogging a little intimidating and intimate but I wanted to challenge myself this year so why not let that include blogging? First things first, what am I doing here exactly? Well I’m an Entwine Jewish Service Corps ( JSC ) Fellow for the Joint Distribution Committee ( JDC ). Briefly JDC is (stolen from the JDC website): The world’s leading Jewish humanitarian assistance organization. JDC works in more than 70 countries and in Israel to alleviate hunger and hardship, rescue Jews in danger, create lasting connections to Jewish life, and provide immediate relief and long-term development support for victims of natural and man-made disasters.  In other words I’m spending a year in Germany working for the Jewish community helping to revitalize Jewish life here. I spend part of my

Bridging the Balkans

Last weekend I had the honor of presenting at the annual JDC regions event "Gesher" or bridge in Hebrew.  This event aims to bring together jews from the Balkan communities. From Romania, to Greece, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey and more young jewish leaders and community members all gathered in Thessaloniki. Seeing so many young jews who were passionate and excited to keep their communities alive was inspiring. After seeing how much spirited fun these communities have when they come together I'm almost ready to move to Greece or Serbia (not to pick favorites). One of the highlights of the weekend was splitting up and doing community service all around the Jewish community of Thessaloniki. I chose to join the group that went to the Jewish day school to revitalize the playground. We painted a murals and games on concrete play area. Later in the afternoon five other people and myself each spoke on a panel about Jewish life in our five respective countr