Skip to main content

Summertime Film Finale

This week marked not only my 11 month milestone but it was also the last movie night for the summer. In Duisburg throughout the year we've been hosting monthly events for Jewish young adults. One event I've been hosting bi-monthly is our Jewish film night or "Kino Abend". This event was passed down to me by my predecessor Amira, who never fails to help me choose the latest title.


We've done all kinds of movies ranging from "Kaddisch fur einen Freund" or Kaddish for a friend, a story about a young Palestine refugee who moves into an apartment below a Jewish old man in Germany and the friendship that they develop.



Perhaps the most thought provoking event was our movie night and discussion about the "Hannah Arendt" movie. She was a famous Jewish German historian/philosopher who wrote about the "banality of evil" in reference to Nazis during WWII.


This movie was inspired in fact by a course I took in university where we read Arendt's most well-known work,  Eichmann in Jerusalem . Nonetheless I was wholly surprised and inspired by the conversation over this topic. I expected a serious discussion that would bring up lots of difficult stories about the war and growing up in Germany. Instead people challenged themselves to think about in what ways the "banality of evil" is still at play today. We talked about what issues today are we as Jewish, Europeans and in my case an American are passively allowing to go unchallenged.

Next we watched a documentary called "The Flat" or "Die Wohnung". Continuing with the Jewish/German theme this Israeli film was about a Jewish family who immigrated to Israel before the war. When their grandparents died in the present day, the family found that their grandparents had kept in close contact with a prominent Nazi family in Germany.


Lastly this week we watched "Keeping the Faith". I thought it was time for something a little more upbeat to defray some of the tension that's been so present lately. It was a wonderful romantic comedy to end a great year of events for Young Jews In the Duisburg Area.



Though it was my last event for the summer, it wont exactly be my last time in Duisburg. I guess its now time for an official announcement:

After a wonderful first year I have (as of last week) officially signed my contract and booked my flight to extend for a second year as a JDC Jewish Service Corps Fellow!  I'll be home in the US for just under a month in August/September and then back to Berlin!

I wanted to thank JDC Germany, JDC Entwine and all of the wonderful friends and colleagues that made this year such a success. Special thanks to Anja for her unwavering support, trust and friendship. To Tanya for all of the exciting projects and flexibility while working together throughout the year.



No need to make this more long-winded than it needs to be but I couldn't be more excited for the continuation of this opportunity to live and work with the German Jewish community. As this year comes to a close, I'm so happy to be able to say that its really only the start of round two!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Attempt at Blogging

This week marks my two month-iversary in Germany. As things start to fall into place a little more I thought it would be a good time to start documenting my work adventures. I’ve always found blogging a little intimidating and intimate but I wanted to challenge myself this year so why not let that include blogging? First things first, what am I doing here exactly? Well I’m an Entwine Jewish Service Corps ( JSC ) Fellow for the Joint Distribution Committee ( JDC ). Briefly JDC is (stolen from the JDC website): The world’s leading Jewish humanitarian assistance organization. JDC works in more than 70 countries and in Israel to alleviate hunger and hardship, rescue Jews in danger, create lasting connections to Jewish life, and provide immediate relief and long-term development support for victims of natural and man-made disasters.  In other words I’m spending a year in Germany working for the Jewish community helping to revitalize Jewish life here. I spend part of my

Going Back to My Roots

Generally I don't post about my vacations, but the latest trip I took with my mom Lithuania seems to fit with the theme of my Jewish experience in Europe so here we go anyway. Last week we went to find our roots in Lithuania. This needs some backstory. My grandma was born in a town called Memel (now Klaipeda) in Lithuania in the 1920s. When she was 6-weeks old my great-grandparents decided to move to South Africa. Since then my grandmother has never been back, despite being an avid world traveler. So when my mom decided to come to visit me in Germany it seemed like a great opportunity to do some heritage hunting. My mom has been researching our family tree for years now and managed to locate the towns and villages that our ancestors were born in so off we set to go see what these places were like today. Vilnus old city, Capital of Lithuania  Rather naively I underestimated how heavy and emotional this journey would be. Living in Germany of course I'm quite aware